get curious, be auroral

Monday 10 August 2015

What's up weekly

I apologise for not posting yesterday, I stayed in bed all day watching audrey hepburn films and reading the new issue of 'aesthetica' so that I could make this week's 'what's up' especially cool af.


Aurora reads...

THE LAST TYCOON- F. Scott Fitzgerald

So I finished 'Stoner' which was such a well crafted piece of literature, but I do warn you- if you've had a bad day, bad week, or just generally feeling down in the dumpsta- maybe go for something a little more lighter on the reading palette (just sayin) I am now 30 pages into Fitzgerald's 'The Last Tycoon' an insight into the world of hollywood- so far it has really gained my attention and interest without being overtly dramatic or written in an avant garde style- the narrative voice is female which I find particularly interesting on a personal level as the only other Fitzgerald's I have read, have been male voices- Scotty sticks to his guns and lures the reader into the plot and world of hollywood through a comfortable and conversational tone, it feels like you're along for the ride too. 




Aurora listens to...
JACK + ELIZA

I love these guys, they're so awesome and their sound is fresh. They remind me of first aid kit, but with more electric guitar and less of the banjos. If you like folk, but also like to be swept along with the tune and melody, check out 'One Too Far'- their voices blend together like the most delicious latte you've ever had. Hiiiiighly recommend fo sho •






Aurora watches...
SABRINA

Another Audrey Hepburn film, predictable me- but it's just so good! I watched this after the busiest day ever up in London, and it was dreamy to come back home, climb into my bed and watch a black and white Audrey movie- she's so captivating in her performance, and you develop a strange affection for Humphrey Bogart... you'll understand if you give it a watch. 




Aurora ART-
MICHAEL ELMGREEN & INGAR DRAGSET- DRAMA QUEENS

In my next post I will talk more about these guys and this art work in particular- I just thought I'd give you a preview of it- it reminded me so much of the opening sequence of Baz Luhrmann's 'Romeo and Juliet', when we get a flashforward of Romeo walking towards Juliet's death bed with the illuminated crosses flanking the walk way on each side, an ominous symbol of their untimely death (these starcross'd lovers... weep) Aside from Shakespeare, the motive and idea behind this piece is so so fascinating- I encourage you to read my next art post as I will be talking about why it's so darn cool: watch this space kids.




Until next time, catch you on the flipside, bye bye <3 




No comments:

Post a Comment